Saturday 4 July 2009

Just Another Blog About Cats... And Horror

It seemed like a good idea at the time - write a children's book with a twist. Put in some cunning nods to the horror genre which were funny and exciting enough to grab the kid's attention, and clever enough to hold the adult's. 


The Fighty Bitey Cat was the result. Based on my own cat's more extreme behaviour, and referencing films such as Psycho, Alien and Nosferatu, it is intended as a fun romp for old and young alike. It has a jokey written style and as few words as I felt I could get away with. Just one problem - I can't draw. (And yes, here's your opportunity to comment that I should work on the drawing, as I'm even worse as a writer.)   

So I looked around for an artist, and was overjoyed when my friends Astrid & Oliver Haupt (aka The Unknown Artist) did some sample pictures. Unfortunately they didn't have time to follow up on their initial ideas as they actually have to do that sort of thing for a living. Next I hooked up with Alex, a designer who was working as a cook in my local (and favourite) bar here in Barcelona. Same story there.

That was at least two years ago, and I've been meaning to put ideas for the book online since then. Over the next few week I'll be uploading my sketches, words and assorted images to try and give an idea of what I want to achieve.

So if you or anyone you know would like to get involved as an artist, designer, typesetter or whatever, please get in touch. I want to get the book finished - at least in electronic form. And who knows, maybe it could even get published.

There you have it. It's not much of a sales pitch, but I've never really been interested in doing this for commercial reasons. I write copy  - amongst other things - for a living, so this is my love project. I hope someone out there will learn to love it too.

Thanks for reading 

"FB"


No comments:

Post a Comment