Wednesday 15 July 2009

Life Imitating Art?


 
Selina plays with Sant Jordi roses whilst listening to The Talking Heads.

I didn't want this blog to be about my own cat, I really didn't. Although I appreciate that many people like nothing more than to post videos like the one above on their sites and blogs, I really think that cats are like children - I love mine, but I'm only passingly interested in yours.  However, that was before Selina (yes, I named her after Catwoman. What a geek!) decided that she was going to emulate the Fighty Bitey Cat.

Selina's normally a fairly docile animal, despite being cooped up in a very small flat in Barcelona. And before I get complaints about a feline's right to roam, etc, I would like to point out that it was 58 square metres in the Catalan capital, or lethal injection. 

We found her by the side of the road near Sant Celoni (another reason for her name). On returning home we were told by various agencies that thaey would be happy to take her off our hands - and into an early grave. In fact, I've since learned that many animals that are put down end up in pet food, a particularly ghoulish form of enforced cannibalism. 

So it was claustrophobia or being fed to her family. And in spite of the lack of space Selina seems to enjoy life and not get too nasty with us - her saviours. 

That was until last night. Durning a game of fetch she took a huge running jump and head-butted me. That's right, the four-legged apple of my eye made like a ram and bashed me on the bonce. I was so surprised  I spilt half my glass of wine on the sofa.

So where did this all come from? Clearly, it must of hurt her a lot more than me. My only thought is that she has been looking over my shoulder whilst I put The Fighty Bitey Cat book together on the blog and learned some bad habits.

As I said at the beginning of the post, I didn't want my near obsession with a pet cat take over this blog, but the proverbial horse has slipped the stable now, so here are a few photos of Selina, back when she was a little better behaved. Try and keep your dinner down.






No comments:

Post a Comment